The Win Button
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The biggest deal everyone overlooked at e3...

3 posters

Go down

The biggest deal everyone overlooked at e3... Empty The biggest deal everyone overlooked at e3...

Post  nubinatubb Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:54 pm

Was probably Steam coming to ps3.

Hopefully that means I can get some counterstrike gaming in on the ps3 on the big screen. That'd be awesome.
nubinatubb
nubinatubb
No not really

Back to top Go down

The biggest deal everyone overlooked at e3... Empty Re: The biggest deal everyone overlooked at e3...

Post  John26 Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:02 pm

Not really, Portal 2 and SteamPs3 was pretty much at the top of everyone list in their E3 roundups. Ex: Gametrailers, IGN, Etc.

If over time they make it as it is on the computer. Oh my gawd.

John26
No not really

Back to top Go down

The biggest deal everyone overlooked at e3... Empty Re: The biggest deal everyone overlooked at e3...

Post  Static Jak Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:54 pm

I'll copy paste my post from other forums on this:

Big thing here is Steamworks. That was the huge announcement for me at E3 wasn't Portal 2 going to the PS3, it was Steam going to the PS3 along with it. No wonder Valve is suddenly praising the PS3.

Right now it's getting Steam Cloud, as well as several other Steamworks features. And Steam Cloud allows you to seamlessly transition save games across platforms and installations. It also allows for automatic updates to be handled by Steam's servers instead of Sony's. Although this isn't full Steam integration, its enough that it should be turning people's heads.

For instance, this could easily allow for Steam achievements in PS3 games. It could also mean Steam stat tracking in PS3 games. There are any number of advantages that Steamworks provides to developers. And Sony has compromised with Valve on this. It would not be unreasonable to expect much heftier support from Valve for the PS3 in the future. And if other Steam regulars are allowed similar freedoms, we just might see more support from them as well.

Take for example Team Fortress 2. The 360 version hasn't received any of the numerous add ons and updates the PC version has. Now if it would have had Steamworks you can guarantee it would have most of those update and add ons around the same point as the PC version plus they would be free. In the words of Penny Arcade: "you wont be paying for DLC on Valve games, ever. That is not a thing that will happen."
Plus this gives the chance of cross platform gaming. As in PC, PS3 and even Mac gamers playing together.

How far this'll go is beyond me, but this is definitely worth keeping an eye on.
And the chances of Steamworks going to the 360 is really, really slim unfortunately. I highly doubt Steamworks will ever be on 360. MS won't let Epic have user mods on the 360 and we know how close they are thanks to the GOW series. So if they won't Epic do something like that they more than likely won't let Valve have Steamworks on 360.
Static Jak
Static Jak
No not really

Back to top Go down

Post  John26 Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:58 pm

I love TF2 on the PC, everything is free, and as long as you don't cheat. There unlimited amounts of content. If TF2 was to come to the PS3, or the next big online steam game. Ps3 sales go boom.

John26
No not really

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down