The Win Button
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need some assistance

2 posters

Go down

I need some assistance Empty I need some assistance

Post  CkSned Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:53 am

This arrr serious thread Evil or Very Mad

Im still trying to pick which course im going to do for university. Ive been accepted into 5 but have to choose one. I narrowed it down to 3 choices:

Computer games design Linky

Computer Games software development Linky

Networking and Systems support Linky

You guys can feel free to look at them. Im not too sure which one to pick. Im leaning towards one of the video game design courses, but didnt really know the differance between the two, so i email'd my uncle and this is what he said about my courses.

"Obviously there are two different types of courses you looked at. The first two are Games oriented and the third is more a generic course geared towards Computer Networking and Support -- basically a lot of what I do. This is always in demand as every Company needs people to run their computer systems.

Your mum said that you really wanted to do the Games orientred stuff. The good thing about each of these two is that the first years is a basic grounding of computing and appears to be the first year of a BSC in Computing. This is good because if you decide you like one aspect of what you have learned so far then you can switch to a BSC or the like in Computer Science.

Of the two Games courses, they are subtly different and it is really down to what you want out of the course and what you are interested in. Games Design is more focused on conceptual stuff; you have the idea for a game, understand what is required to produce it and the limitations and the technology involved. The Games Development is different in that you will be developing the games -- so doing the actual coding to produce a game and have less need for concepts although basic concepts are covered.

In essence your either 'Design' (Come up with the ideas), or Develop (code the ideas from the Designer)"

What do we think guys, cant make up my mind ?
CkSned
CkSned
No not really

https://www.youtube.com/CkSned

Back to top Go down

I need some assistance Empty Re: I need some assistance

Post  Open Circle Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:03 pm

Hmmm

I'm also preparing to go to College (maybe University of Oregon, since they offered me a scholarship that pays for all of my tuition) but unsure how the classes are set up.

But I guess you should pick the course that most suits you the best. If you have alot of ideas how games should be designed or created, then perhaps you'll be most comfortable as a designer. However, if your interested in the inner working of games or enjoy creating stuff, then maybe being a developer would be the best for you.

Personally, I think it would be awesome to work to work as one of the concept artists, but still deciding between Physics or Biology and will probably take both classes during my freshman year to see which one suits me the best.

Good luck!
Open Circle
Open Circle
No not really

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum