The Win Button
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm pricing up some parts for a PC I want to build

4 posters

Go down

I'm pricing up some parts for a PC I want to build Empty I'm pricing up some parts for a PC I want to build

Post  skitty Thu May 24, 2012 2:46 pm

So I'm looking at processors and the i5 and i7 are both reasonably cheap, but, is the extra £50 (on Google shop) justified when it comes to the i7? scratch

Thanks for any help given guys.

skitty
Drag is really a panda
Drag is really a panda

Back to top Go down

I'm pricing up some parts for a PC I want to build Empty Re: I'm pricing up some parts for a PC I want to build

Post  John26 Thu May 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Not a expert on intel, but I think I heard if you are sticking to gaming stick to the i5

John26
No not really

Back to top Go down

I'm pricing up some parts for a PC I want to build Empty Re: I'm pricing up some parts for a PC I want to build

Post  Static Jak Thu May 24, 2012 6:04 pm

i7 is overkill. I use an i5 2500 and is generally consider the most you'll need.
Static Jak
Static Jak
No not really

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghost Fri May 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Unless you are thinking of running a private server then the i5 is more then plenty. But with gaming AMD always has and always will trump intel. Personally if I was building from parts I would build on an AMD platform.
Ghost
Ghost
Forum Reaper
Forum Reaper

https://winbutton.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghost Fri May 25, 2012 10:30 pm

Speaking of CPU's I read the other day that the new ARM processors and architecture will support IE only in Windows 8. Largest load of bull shit I have ever heard...... Regardless of how powerful these chips will be I for one will be boycotting them until I can run the applications I want to run.....
Ghost
Ghost
Forum Reaper
Forum Reaper

Back to top Go down

Post  skitty Sat May 26, 2012 6:32 am

Thanks for your reply guys, really appreciate it. I'll put the extra £50 or so into another part.

Really? Windows 8 seems ass to me.

skitty
Drag is really a panda
Drag is really a panda

Back to top Go down

Post  Static Jak Sat May 26, 2012 7:41 am

skitty wrote:
From what I've heard and seen, Windows 8 is a cluttered mess in MS attempt to have one OS across laptops, desktops and tablets. I can't see any reason to go from 7 to 8. It's starting to feel like Vista all over again. Though they'd have a hell of a time trying to match Vistas level of shitness.
I'm pricing up some parts for a PC I want to build Windows_7
Static Jak
Static Jak
No not really

Back to top Go down

Post  Static Jak Sat May 26, 2012 7:50 am

Btw, what other parts are you checking out?
Static Jak
Static Jak
No not really

Back to top Go down

Post  skitty Sat May 26, 2012 12:17 pm

I think I like the idea of Hitler with flashing eyes Very Happy

I've got as far as graphics card at the moment I might be going about this the wrong (or perhaps more expensive way) but I was going to pick up a Nvidia GTA 560 TI, but it seemed to struggle with BF3, which I want to run on ultra settings. I found the Nvidia GTX 680, and it seems to do everything I want from a graphics card, but it's damn expensive. Could you suggest an alternative, if that's possible?

Ideally, I want to run Planetside 2 as high as possible when it comes out.

skitty
Drag is really a panda
Drag is really a panda

Back to top Go down

Post  Static Jak Sat May 26, 2012 1:41 pm

I'm using the 560 TI and can run BF3 at high with little to no issues. I'm using the MSI 560 TI Twin Frozr II model.
I'm pricing up some parts for a PC I want to build MSI_N560Ti_TwinFrozrII_400

The 680 is the most high end GPU on the market right now so if you can afford go ahead but the 560 TI will do the job too. There's no sign of the 600 version of the 560 yet but maybe by the time you get round to purchasing the parts it'll be out. With Nvidia, they have specific numbering, take the 500 series for example:

GTX 580 (Highest)
GTX 570 (High)
GTX 560 TI (Mid-High)
GTX 560 (Mid)
GTX 550 (Lower)
GTX 520 (low)

The 600 series only has the 670 and 680 out right now. From everything I've heard, the 670 is very, very close to the 680.

Just to throw in, when you're looking at cases, I'd suggest the Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition. Might not be cheap but you never regret buying a good case. Corsair are great with anything they make. My RAM and Power Supply are Corsair built too.

And for the love of god, buy a aftermarket cooler for the CPU. The dinky coolers that come with the CPU are useless. I use the Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler. Cheap, reliable and very, very popular with PC builders. You won't regret it.
Static Jak
Static Jak
No not really

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghost Sat May 26, 2012 1:53 pm

Static Jak wrote:
skitty wrote:
From what I've heard and seen, Windows 8 is a cluttered mess in MS attempt to have one OS across laptops, desktops and tablets. I can't see any reason to go from 7 to 8. It's starting to feel like Vista all over again. Though they'd have a hell of a time trying to match Vistas level of shitness.

The curse of M$, every second OS blows. They have stayed true to this since the 95/98/ME days. It's actually a brilliant idea though. They essentially release a "Stable" OS at retail prices, idiots spend hundreds of millions buying the newest and "best" and M$ gets a year or 2 of live beta testing fully funded by the everyday consumer. Then the release the real deal a year or two later and market the fuck out of it by comparing it their previous unstable crash release. If I was in charge of marketing and development over there I would do the same good damn thing lol
Ghost
Ghost
Forum Reaper
Forum Reaper

Back to top Go down

Post  Static Jak Sat May 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Ghost wrote:
Static Jak wrote:
skitty wrote:

The curse of M$, every second OS blows. They have stayed true to this since the 95/98/ME days
It's nearly comforting knowing which OS will suck before it's even out at this point.
Static Jak
Static Jak
No not really

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghost Sat May 26, 2012 2:14 pm

Static Jak wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Static Jak wrote:
skitty wrote:

The curse of M$, every second OS blows. They have stayed true to this since the 95/98/ME days
It's nearly comforting knowing which OS will suck before it's even out at this point.

Linux, with an i5 you can easily dual or even triple boot to parrelles and run a Windows and a Mac environment all from the comfort of a Unix shell lol.
Ghost
Ghost
Forum Reaper
Forum Reaper

Back to top Go down

Post  skitty Mon May 28, 2012 3:43 pm

Thanks Jak. I couldn't have asked for a more in depth response.

I've had a think and I'm being way too greedy on the graphics card, I'm going to go with the 500 series.

I was checking out that case, I like the black version (the first?) the best. I don't mind spending a bit of money on a case.

I'll check out that brand of cooling as well, thanks man! cheers

skitty
Drag is really a panda
Drag is really a panda

Back to top Go down

Post  Static Jak Mon May 28, 2012 3:59 pm

No problem. I've been hearing rumors that the 660 could be out by July or August. It'll probably be around similar pricing to the 560 but somewhere close to double the performance. Possibly, the 600 series has been odd so far. If you haven't all the parts at that point, check to see if the 660 is out or not.

But still, the 560TI will have no issues running any game this year or next at the very least. Most tend to skip one generation of GPUs and wait for the one after.

And when looking at PSUs, the Corsair line up is the best you can get. No matter the site, Corsair PSUs are the recommended choice. I'm currently using the Corsair Professional Series AX750. 750 Watts being more than enough for me. The AX series is one of Corsairs most reliable PSUs that' has fully modular cables leaving less clutter in the case making it way easier for cable management..

The Corsair case looks great to me. Best thing is the simple dust filters that can be easily removed, clean and then put back on in seconds. To remove my Phantoms two side fan dust filters, I have to first unscrew the fans. And the filter for the PSU is clipped underneath meaning I have to unplug everything, turn the case on its side and then I have access to it.
Static Jak
Static Jak
No not really

Back to top Go down

Post  Static Jak Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Btw, the GTX 660 could be here by June 25th. Talk is that it'll only use one 6 pin connector for power which is tint (good thing) and at the very least, match the GTX 570 in performance at a cheaper price.
Static Jak
Static Jak
No not really

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down